Staying active with limited mobility can be a challenge, but fear not: you can do many rewarding exercises with your cane! A natural tool for improving upper body strength and balance, your cane can be a real asset when creating an exercise routine that meets your needs.
We all know that exercise keeps us fit, helps us live longer, and makes us feel good. Specifically, some of the benefits of regular exercise include improved mental and emotional health, stronger heart and lungs, and a sharper mind.
When it comes to exercise, the key is consistency over intensity or quantity. A simple exercise routine that you perform several times a week is more important than an occasional rigorous workout.
Exercise with Your Cane
Your cane can serve not only as a walking aid, but also as a useful tool for your exercise routine. There are many upper body and balance exercises that are made possible when you have a cane to help. Consider these ideas to get started!
- Bicep curls: Hold your cane straight out in front of you with your palms facing up. Keeping the cane parallel to the floor, bend your elbows to bring the cane to the chest. Repeat 8-10 times.
- Chest press: Lie on your back, holding the cane with your palms facing you. Extend your arms straight up, then lower the cane to your chest. Repeat 8-10 times.
- Side lift: Hold the cane by your side, keeping it parallel to the floor. With your arm extended, lift the cane to shoulder height and lower. Repeat 8-10 times on each side.
- For a visual aid and several possible shoulder exercises, watch this video.
- Leg lifts: While standing, use your cane to support your right leg. Bend your left knee, raising your foot from the ground and hold for 3 seconds. Repeat 5-8 times on each side.
- Cane balancing: While seated, extend your arm in front of you with your palms facing up. Balance the cane on your palm perpendicular to the floor. You can even time yourself and try to beat your own balancing record!
- Consider including these additional balance exercises with or without a cane to improve your exercise routine!
Finding the Right Cane
Make sure you have a cane that meets your needs! Your freedom and mobility are important, and you deserve a cane that makes life easier. At Medical Supply Depot, we offer a wide variety of standard canes, quad canes, folding canes, and more!
Consult your doctor or physical therapist for help finding the right cane and exercise routine for you, and check out our website to learn more about resources to improve your mobility.